Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I was not banned for match-fixing: Maurice Odumbe

NEW DELHI: Five summers ago he was pronounced guilty of match-fixing but former Kenya skipper Maurice Odumbe claims he suffered just because he knew
someone who happened to be a bookie.

The all-rounder, who completes his five year ban this August, blames the ICC for mishandling his case and destroying his career.

"I was accused of knowing somebody, not of match fixing. The world never heard my story. I was not given a chance to prove my innocence. They had to prove me guilty and they did that," Odumbe told PTI.

The 39-year-old said his ex-girl friends were used to testify against him but not any cricketer and was given the harsh punishment.

"I was accused of knowing the wrong person in inappropriate context. Moreover, they brought my ex-girl friends to testify against me, and no cricketer testified against me.

"My verdict was read out at night, most of the witnesses were my ex-girl friends. If you look at other cases like Marlon Samuels, Herschelle Gibbs and Nicky Boje, they all escaped with much lesser punishment but I was banned for five year. Why? I'm disappointed. It hurts," he said.

"They destroyed my life and then they tried to extort money from me. It is at this time I got in touch with FICA Chief Tim May and I asked him what else do they want from me. They did what they wanted and now they want $10,000 from me. What I have done to deserve all this," Odumbe said.

Odumbe, who turns 40 this month, said he wants to play the 2011 World Cup for his country before hanging up his boots.

"When I started playing cricket, no one told me when to start and no one can tell me when to stop, so I would like to play for my country. I have faith on my ability and I have been keeping fit myself. Aging is all in the mind and I would like to play the next world cup," said Odumbe, who signed a MOU with Deeksha Sports Management to reproduce the module and expertise of the firm in Kenya.

With the sagging status of Kenyan cricket, Odumbe felt if Kenya can be accommodated into the Champions league in place of Pakistan, it might help revive the game in the African country.

"I think Kenyan cricketers should have been there (Champions league), may not be as Kenyan team but as Nairobi team. It could have been a boost to our cricket, we could have regained what we have lost," he said.

No comments: