Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bitter-sweet feeling for Jorgensen

Hyderabad, Aug 14 (PTI) A controversial call by the line umpire saw Dane shuttler Jon O Jorgensen resign in despair as he saw the match slip out of his fingers against Indonesian Taufik Hidayat and the world number 20 says it has left him with a bitter-sweet feeling.
Leading at 20-19 in the second game, Taufik smashed a Jorgensen regulation stroke which according to the Dane had landed outside the line but the line umpire decided against him.
"I saw the shuttle drop outside but the line umpire felt it was inside. I spoke to the chair umpire after the match. I guess, this is something which I can't help. If I would have got the point, may be things could have been different," Jorgensen said.
"It is a better sweat feeling for me because I know I had my chances but I tried my best. He is more experienced and played some great shots. I managed to give him a good fight but surely he was the better one," he added.
The duo, however, didn't make any fuss of it and embraced each other smiling at the confusion, showing tremendous sportsmanship.
Asked about the incident, Taufik said, "Well, I said sorry to him because it wasn't in my hand. If the umpire says its outside I am ready to play but since he judged it was inside, I win."
Jorgensen said he was satisfied with his performance.
"I am satisfied with my game. I was aware with his skills. I have played against him before. In the Japan Open last year, I lost to him.," he said.
Taufik said it was a difficult game but he was always confident of his skills.
"It was a hard game. I was confident event though I was lagging behind 15-19 in the first game but I had things under control. I knew I can win from here and I just need to keep my cool," he said.
"I have always said that I was lucky to be in the second half where it is a little bit easy as I don't need to play Lee CHong Wei or Lin Dan but the guy really played well," he added. PTI ATK

No comments: