Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Taufik wants title as his birthday gift

Hyderabad, Aug 11 (PTI) Taufik Hidayat rates Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan as the top contenders but the Indonesian wants to win the ongoing World Badminton Championship to give himself a perfect birthday gift. The 2005 world championship said he was bored with the Championship since it became an annual event Taufik, who turned 28 yesterday, said winning the title this time is his birthday wish.

"Lee and Dan are the two best players and they would be the top contenders for the title but I would like to win it too. It''s my birthday wish," he said.

"But I am bored by it as it happens every year. It is just like a Super Series," he added.

The 2004 Olympic champion said he was happy that he is in the second half of the draw. "I''m happy with the draw.

I feel I am lucky to be in the second half which is relatively easier," he said. The Indian Open champion said he played with a relaxed mind today and tried to get used to the court.

"I was quite relaxed today. I don''t know what would happen tomorrow.

It was the first round and I tried to acclimatised to the conditions here," he said. Asked about drift, Taufik said, "In the central court where I played it was okay but I don''t know about the rest of the courts.

No comments: