Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bring on the Pressure: Jwala




HYDERABAD: The higher the pressure, the better player she is, feels Jwala Gutta. The mixed doubles player says she actually commits lesser mistakes
when she is under pressure.

"I don't feel pressure. I have always played under pressure because I have always played for my team in doubles and mixed doubles and it was always like if the doubles pair win then the team wins.

"And love playing under pressure because it makes me more alert and focused. Somehow I always make very few mistake when I am under pressure," Jwala says.

One of India's medal prospect at the World Badminton championhips, the Jwala and V Diju pair has got a bye in the first round and a walkover in the second round, which means they start their tournament on Thursday in the pre-quarters and the seven-time National Doubles Champion says she just can't wait to get on the court.

"I just can't get wait anymore. I'm losing the feeling it seems," she says.

"But it would be tough match. They are the 12th seed. We played this polish pair before, may be four years ago, well a lot has changed in this years, isn't it?" she quips.

World number eight Jwala-Diju will take on Robert Mateusiak and Nadiezda Kostiuczyk in the third round on Thursday and the Hyderabadi shuttler says she has worked a lot on her game in the run up to the tournament.

"My back hand side I think I am slower, I was working on it and I have improved and my defense," she says.

Asked about her chemistry with Diju, Jwala says it is the great level of communication and faith on each other which gets reflected on the court.

"Off the court we are good friends. I listen to him, he even shouts at me on the court and I know that he tells me for my own good and for our game and I tell him and he listen so I have this brilliant communication which is so important," says the Indian Open finalist.

"Even if I fall in the court, I know he would be there covering me so we have this confidence on each other."

But ask her who is the prankster of the two, Jwala keeps the rights for herself. "Of course, I am the mischievous of the two. I am the more outspoken. I keep cracking jokes a lot," she says.

The duo won the Bitburger Open and the Bulgarian open last year.

Asked about her women's doubles partner Ashwini Poppanna, Jwala says she is a good attacking player and we are gelling up well.

"We played some super series. She is a junior player and she listens what I say as I have more experience. She hits really hard. We are gelling very well," she concludes.

No comments: